Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin - Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences

Extending the doctoral studies



To extend your doctoral studies, please submit an application to the Doctoral Degree Board via the Doctoral Office in good time before the four-year period has expired. Your supervisor must support the application. You may use this template for your application.

Additionally, you must complete and submit the Admissions Office form for extensions to the Doctoral Office.

If the Doctoral Degree Board approves the application, the Doctoral Office will inform the Admissions Office and the applicant.


Please check the FAQ of the Enrollment Office for PhD Studies for general information in regards with re-enrollment or fees.

Current notice

Following a law of the Berlin Senate to reduce the consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic, the enrollment period of all enrolled doctoral students has been shifted by up to three university semesters. Thus, for re-enrollment in Winter Semester 2021/22, there is no need to submit certificates to the Enrollment Office to extend the doctoral period.

Please note that this does not affect the 4-year faculty thesis completion period. If this expires, please still submit the above-mentioned documents for extension to the doctoral office (application and form).