Direkt zum InhaltDirekt zur SucheDirekt zur Navigation
▼ Zielgruppen ▼

Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin - International Office


Credits: Jan von Allwörden/DAAD

Erasmus+ Program

Erasmus+ offers students the possibility to go abroad during different periods of their studies. Bachelor and Master are the most common study periods for an Erasmus exchange but you can also go abroad during your Phd for one or two semesters. Improve your language skills, learn about a new culture and study in a different university system. You need to be enrolled at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin at the time of the application. Students can apply for a study stay abroad in the next winter and/or summer semester. 


Call for Applications for the Academic Year 2022/23

The new Erasmus program generation (2021-2027) places a strong focus on social inclusion, digital transitions, and supports green mobility. The five departments of the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences offer a wide choice of partner universities in Europe.
Brexit information - For partner universities in Great Britain you can currently only apply for the winter semester 2022/23 within the framwork of the Erasmus program.

The application deadline is January 31, 2022.

We offer an online information session for the current call for applications on November 24 and on December 14, 2021 at 5:30 pm. Please register for this event: international.mnf@hu-berlin.de. You will receive the link for the session shortly before the respective date.


You apply via an online application form. You can apply for partner universities that have an exchange agreement with your department.

Please note: The application platform is in German. All the required documents can be uploaded in English. If you have problems with German and/or with the application platform please contact international.mnf@hu-berlin.de.


The following documents (in a pdf format) are requested during the application process:
• Curriculum Vitae (CV)
• Letter of Motivation (1 page, why, when, where you want to study abroad)
• AGNES overview of completed courses (with current grades)
• only for master applications: proof of Bachelor degree or first Master semester
• Language certificate for the main course language abroad (max. 2 years old, generally B2)
• HU enrollment certificate


Chronology of an Erasmus semester

Formalities before Going Abroad
After a succesful application a few things need to be taken care of before the start of the semester abroad.

1. Nomination
After students receive an Erasmus+ exchange slot we will offically nominate them at the respective partner university. Students will receive further information via e-mail from the partner univeristy on how to apply there directly. The application at the partner univeristy is formally required and generally most students are accepted.

Recommendation: Look at the website of the partner university to see if they have any specific study requirements (e.g. language requirements).

2. Grant Agreement
The Grant Agreement (Mobility Agreement for Switzerland) is the Erasmus+ agreement between the student and HU Berlin. It is the contract for the scolarship and payment. The document needs to be signed and sent to the International Office of the Faculty.

3. EU Language Test
Erasmus+ students have to take an additional online language test (OLS) before going abroad. The test is initiated by the EU to compare students' language skills before and after their stay abroad. The language tested is the main course language during the exchange semester. Student receive an invitation for the test via e-mail. The login information is also valid for the second test at the end of the Erasmus stay.

4. Learning Agreement
During the study period abroad students should attend courses totalling 25 - 30 ECTS. The Learning Agreement makes sure that courses can be recognized at HU Berlin. The Learning Agreement will be signed by the student, the Erasmus+ coordinator of the department and the Erasmus+ coordinator of the partner university. Afterwards the document (with all signatures) can be forwarded to the Erasmus+ coordinator of the faculty. This needs to happen before the student goes abroad. The Learning Agreement can be changed during the stay if courses change. 


Information Before Going Abroad
1. Language Course
For the Erasmus+ application a proof of language proficiency of B2 is neccessary. The HU Language Centre (Spachenzentrum) offers a variety of courses and language tests (when only a proof of language proficiency is needed). To refresh some language skills there are also several other options like courses at the Berliner Volkshochschule or intensive classes at the partner univeristy before the semester start.

2. Break Semester ("Urlaubssemester")
During the semester abroad you can apply to be put on official leave of absence. This can be done every time the HU asks for "Rückmeldung".

The leave of absence counts for the whole semester including the semester break. During the leave the semester is not counted as "Fachsemester". During the time students attend classes at HU. Exams can only be written for classes the student visited before the leave. This includes field trips, excursions and internships.

HU Berlin can refund the semester ticket even without official leave if students can prove that they are not in Berlin. The refunding is done by the Studierendenwerk. The application for the leave can be sent to the matriculation office.

3. Further details to be taken care of:

- bank accound abroad/credit card
- health insurance
- accomondation


Arriving at Partner University
1. Enrolment at partner university and Confirmation of Registration
Before the study period starts the student has to enrol at the partner university. The partner university will inform the student about the neccessary steps.

Additionally, the partner university has to sign the "Confirmation of Registration" for the student on the day of the arrival (or shortly after). Cornelia Marx (cornelia.marx@hu-berlin.de) from the International Office needs this signed document as the funding is bound to the Confirmation of Registration.

2. Changes for the Learning Agreement
The Learning Agreement can be changed if neccessary. This can be the case if classes at the partner university are not available or overlapping. The signed agreement can be sent to mnfinter@hu-berlin.de. This document is important for the scholarship.


Before Going Home
The partner university has to sign the "Confirmation of Study Stay" at the end of the study period. The confirmation can be forwarded to Cornelia Marx (cornelia.marx@hu-berlin.de) and mnfinter@hu-berlin.de up to three weeks after the end of the stay.


Other Possibilities (Extension, Internships)
1. Extension
If students want to extend their Erasmus stay for another semester please contact the International Office of the Faculty (mnfinter@hu-berlin.de) to discuss the possibility of an extension. To add the summer semester as second semester abroad is often quite easy.

If the Erasmus coordinator of the faculty agrees, a request for extension is officially submitted.

2. Internship
The stay abroad can be combinde with an internship. More information regarding internships are available at the webside of the Abteilung Internationales.


Final Documents - Back at the Home University
1. Second Language Test
Students can use the login information from the first language test and submit the second one. This needs to be done within three weeks after the stay abroad ended. There will be no additional invitation via email. The second OLS language test is requested for the second payment.

2. Confirmation of Student Stay Abroad
Students can send the previously signed "Confirmation of Study Stay Abroad" to Cornelia Marx (cornelia.marx@hu-berlin.de) and the International Office of the faculty. The scholarship will be calculated to the day. The confirmation is important in order to receive the second payment.

3. Transcript of Records and Recognition of Courses
Students receive a Transcript of Records from the partner university which officially states all the passed classes and grades. With this document the student can submit a request for recognition (Antrag auf Anrechnung/Anerkennung) to the examination board ("Prüfungsausschuss") of the department. The Learning Agreement officially documents which courses will be recognised by HU Berlin - so this should be only a formal procedure.

3a) Please send the "Transcript of Records" plus additional accomplishments (language courses) to the International Office of the faculty (Büro für Internationales Studieren).

3b) Please send the "Transcript of Records" and the "Anerkennungsnachweis" to the Head of your examination board.

3c) The signed document for the course recognition should be sent to the International Office of the faculty.

4. Experience Report
All Erasmus students write an HU experience report and send it to the International Office of the faculty. This report shall help future Erasmus+ generations to prepare for their study stay abroad and help them to choose a fitting partner univerity.
There is also a small online survey from the EU. Student will receive an e-mail invitation for this survey.